Re: [CQ-Contest] Band Category Log Submissions (RAC Contest Manager)

To: John Laney <k4bai@att.net>, cq-contest reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>, "Bart Ritchie (VE5CPU)" <ve5cpu@sasktel.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Band Category Log Submissions (RAC Contest Manager)
From: ferrsa@sasktel.net
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 19:22:28 -0600
Hmmm ...  Robot - What robot ?  ... although somedays it feels like it.
  Its just me on email after the contest and sometimes that is why
there is a delay.

  Sam (the robot man)
  VE5SF

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 09:46:54 -0600, "Bart Ritchie (VE5CPU)"  wrote:

        Hi John and the rest of the CQ-Contest Reflector readers

Unlike many of the larger contest committees, we do not have a Contest
Robot to receive the log submissions.  All logs come to the appropriate
email address for the contest and our "wetware" robot, the contest
manager, does a high level inspection of the log to determine if it is
in fact a Cabrillo like log or is some other format.  Our experiences
agree with the many mentions of various log types received from the
subject "Bad Format Logs" of non standard logs, happens to us to the
tune of ~15% of the logs are not Cabrillo.

So our wetware robot is readily able to see a dual submission of the
actual category log and a check log where the operator decided to play
outside of their official category.

As to why did we implement such a rule?  Over 35% (+/- 5%) of the logs
do not accurately describe the actual category operated in when
compared to the contents of the actual log.  This is due to a large
number of elements including:
  - software does not support the official RAC categories, there are a
lot of folks still using CT and it knows nothing of the official RAC
categories from the last 6 years or so, let along all the other
programs that don't get updated.
  - software does not support RAC Cabrillo structure (missing the VHF
elements of our contest)
  - entrant does not know how to edit their Cabrillo file for errors in
the header
  - entrant did not understand the categories,  a single mode log is
not the same as single op all band low power
  - entrants select single op all band at the start, find band
conditions suck and only make single band contacts but do not change
the header info
  - apparently confusion between single band and single model

and the list goes on.  Hence our rules clarification that the log will
be taken based on it content and not strictly by the identification of
the category of entry.  In order to minimize false NILs we asked for a
separate check logs.

If, in the future, we were to have robot software developed, it would
need to accommodate our rules and we would have to have the appropriate
logic that would make a unique log be a combination of the call signed
used for the entry and the mode of entry.

I suspect all contest committees use their rules to determine the logic
needed for their robots so if they do not elect to have a unique log
identifier based on multiple parameters then handling two log
submissions for different circumstances, like a main entry and a check
log, would not work.

With a two person management team and log checker we had to do
something to deal with the issue and this was the most straight forward
from a workload perspective.

73, Bart
RAC Canada Day Contest Manager