Re: [CQ-Contest] DC and NAQP

To: Paul Stoetzer <n8hm@arrl.net>, "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] DC and NAQP
From: Tod Olson <tod@k0to.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 21:28:37 -0600
I am a little puzzled here. There are at least two phrases used in English
that sound the same but are spelled differently and have different meaning.

One is "hear, hear" generally associated with the British house of
Parliament when some folks like what the speaker has just said. Their
utterance is made to show support for at point.

The other is an admonition spelled "here, here" which is used often to
indicate that the person does not agree with a point of action made by
someone else. [I suppose that it could also be used to indicate to someone
you are saving them a place at your table].

Somehow the point made in the email below is not entirely clear to me.

I was a member of the ARRL Board when the DC multiplier was inserted into
a contest as a bit of 'political payoff'. Lot's of Board members were not
enthusiastic about doing so, but somehow 'learned' to accept a multiplier
that was inserted just so the one operator in the District could be a
'rare multiplier'.

This being a Presidential election year I am sure it is an 'proper' topic
for the reflector. Don't worry about reason, it is not required.

Tod, K0TO