Re: [CQ-Contest] Split operation in CQ WW CW,

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Split operation in CQ WW CW,
From: Michael Adams <mda@n1en.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 14:07:02 -0400
On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 8:55 AM, Joe <nss@mwt.net> wrote:

> The best op's I have worked already do this. And by just "Listening"
> yeah I know,,  an old skill that few use now days, if you listen you can
> learn where the station is "Actually" listening. You can sometime even
> learn if he is randomly tuning, or is working their way up or down in
> freq as he is working the pile. And then you can place your signal where
> you think he might be listening  on the next go around.

Shhhh!   Don't give away the secret!

Seriously thought.... I'm leery of "there ought to be a rule" type
discussions, especially as regards to attempts to regulate good behavior.
And there are plenty of other poor operating practices that I think would
merit rulemaking against before issuing a rule about split behavior.

I suppose you could make an argument that a "Contesters Code of Conduct"
could be drafted by consensus and incorporated by reference into the rules
of various contests as the organizers wish...but that's beyond the scope of
this thread.

Personally, I don't mind split in a contest as long as good etiquette is
followed.   In this case,listen around the "up" frequency before sending
the horde there.   If bands aren't congested, this shouldn't be a problem.
   If bands are congested...there will be no "up" to send the pileup to,
and therefore you should stick with working simplex.  This is all
consistent with the notion that split operation in contests is discouraged
to promote efficient use of available spectrum.

If you absolutely, positively had to have a rule, consider one of these

» Allow split operation, but set a minimum split distance.  E.g. perhaps
contest-DX running at 14020 should be calling "UP 100" or "UP 210"[*]
instead of "UP 1".

» Prohibit split operation, but introduce a new entry classification, one
which requires QSY after every or every-other contact.   Rather than
suffering slow rates under massive pileups, rare DX could compete alongside
sprint enthusiasts and S&P duffers like me.

» Prohibit split operation, but introduce a scoring component where your
score is adjusted to reflect how many points other stations earned by
working you.  Thus, if you are a rare double-mult, you get extra credit to
compensate the slower rate

But despite those ideas, I think this is better handled by tolerating
split, or pursuing a Contesters Code of Conduct rather than formal
rulemaking.

[* - Yes, I am kidding about the UP 210.]

--
*Michael D. Adams* (N1EN)
Poquonock, Connecticut | mda@n1en.org