[CQ-Contest] CQ WW split etc

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW split etc
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 08:42:31 -0600
I was waiting for the conversation to spin off into a you must do it my
way direction and now it has.  Operating split is not against the
rules.  What works for one op may or may not work for the next op. We
are all different. It what is being done is allowed by the rules then
who really cares.  Are people afraid that by doing something different
that someone might have an advantage over you because you fail to
innovate or add flexibility to your operating style?  If my pileup is
too big people are going to criticize my use of bandwidth?

Is CQ going to ban the use of Split on both CW and SSB?  Nobody has even
attempted to explain why operating split on SSB is ok in a mode where
have serious bandwidth issues yet for some reason it is not ok on CW
where bandwidth is not an issue.  Were any of the stations that used
split extensively, and I never heard any, winning their class by a huge
margin?  I doubt it.

Why don't we look at the real issues in the contest where Multi single
was established so that many ops could use ONE, yes ONE radio and take
turns using it.  What we have now are station out right cheating and
running multiple stations per band on the same band at the same time and
station where they have built technology to allow X number of people and
Xmitters to be used at the same time, which was completely contrary to
the intent of the rules way back when. If we are truly concerned about
bandwidth, why not get serious about cracking down on all the illegal
power operations during each and ever contest  across the globe.
Running illegal power is against the rules and a violation of the ops
license in most cases.

If something that happened in a contest within the rules was not liked
by the sponsor then they can change the rules.  The rules must allow for
ingenuity, innovation, flexibility to keep people interested or are we
going down the road where everyone will get to work 2000 stations and
2000 mults and will will give everyone a pretty ribbon or just pull a
few names out of the hat and decide the winners?

--
Mike W0MU

W0MU-1 CC Cluster w0mu.net:23 or w0mu-1.dnsdynamic.com
Http://www.w0mu.com