[CQ-Contest] Yuri's suggestions

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Yuri's suggestions
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 11:15:31 +0000 (GMT)
As usual, I am expressing MY OWN opinion and this should not be construed as
representative
of the opinion of any other group or committee.  Just mine.  I am paraphrasing
Yuri's points.

1. *Pre-announce your category of entry.*  Why?  You want to avoid "fishing for
a certificate?"
Who cares?  Also, if someone has big plans and something goes wrong (an
amplifier blows up
before the contest, some antennas fail, a tower comes down) why should the
entrant then
not be able to get on during the contest and be as competitive as they can they
be using
whatever equipment is left?  Maybe some of their Operators were not able to
arrive on time,
so they change from M/M to M/S.  Who cares?  I am not being rhetorical, I would
like to know
"who" cares and "why" they care?

2.*Log submission deadline is 2 days.*  It was just shortened to 5 days.  What
difference
is there between 2 and 5?  If someone wanted to cheat, all they have to do is
hire 6 other
operators to review their recorded contest effort.  So for a 48 hour contest,
the entire log
could be reviewed in 8 hours.  In 2 days (your new deadline), the full log
could be reviewed six
times!

As CT1BOH suggests, it might be far more successful to have a voluntary,
gentleman's
agreement to submit the log within one hour after the contest.

However, even that (alone) is not foolproof.  If we go back to the "hired guns"
scenario,
these hired guns could start reviewing the log in REAL TIME.  So by the end of
the contest,
the log is still reviewed many times.

This is why the new CQWW RULES specify no post contest log/call changes and
even specifies
HOW that will be enforced.  All call corrections must be made in REAL TIME and
will be verified
by using the committee's SDR files.

3. *Audio recording of the whole contest operation is mandatory.*
Anyone who has their heart set on cheating will simply modify the file prior to
submission.
That is just TOO easy!  Why would a cheater suddenly be honest with the
submitted file?

4. *Video recording of your whole operation is very desirable* I have no
comment.

de Doug KR2Q