Re: [CQ-Contest] band plan definition - LSB vs USB

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] band plan definition - LSB vs USB
From: Richard DiDonna NN3W <richnn3w@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 13:25:48 -0400
On 10/3/2012 9:22 AM, Tõnno Vähk wrote:
There is one thing has been bothering me for a while and I am sure there
are some knowledgable people here who can explain this.

ITU R1 band plan says:

* - Lowest dial setting for LSB Voice mode: 1843, 3603 and 7053 kHz*

But it does not mention the highest dial setting for USB on 20-10 meters.

So is it allowed to work USB on 14349 what concerns the band plan?

IARU Region 1 and Region 2 band plans both also say:

*Transmitting frequencies: The announced frequencies in the band plan are
understood as “transmitted frequencies” and not those of the suppressed
carrier!*

What does it mean? Does it mean that furthermore, it is stressed that 14349
is OK as it is the transmitted frequency?

Tonno, I think the difference lies in the fact that the LSB settings on 1843, 3603, and 7053 might place you at the lower bounds of a preferred frequency range, but operating below that does not endanger your license. By contrast, operating on 14349 USB means your signal is guaranteed to bleed above 14350. No need to remind you about plans there because operating there violates your license.

73 Rich NN3W