Re: [CQ-Contest] Idiom Press

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Idiom Press
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 10:25:43 -0700

The problem with Idiom Press seems to be that they periodically go into some kind of coma as far as customer response is concerned. It doesn't take much searching through reflector archives and eHam.net postings to see that the problem has come and gone repeatedly over most of the last decade. Check for yourself if you don't believe me. You can even find public apologies from their ownership explaining some issue and promising better support ... but it doesn't seem to hold up. Idiom Press and ICE seem to be the two worst offenders in the ham radio arena for periodic bad customer responsiveness.

By the way, I have next to zero faith in the majority of eHam.net reviews. Below average products often get rated a 5 and rarely is there any kind of objective comparison to anything ... specs or other products. But one day a couple of years ago I waded through a ton of reviews to see what caused people to give ratings of 1 or 0 for various products. Invariably those low ratings were given for poor customer service ... sometimes for slow delivery but way more often for simple lack of communication.

Hams in general turn out to be pretty tolerant of marginal quality products (at least if they don't break), but they are almost rabidly intolerant of being left in the dark. Why any entity serving the ham radio market hasn't figured that out by now is beyond me.

73,
Dave   AB7E