Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote contesting and internet hunting

To: Tree <tree@kkn.net>, CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote contesting and internet hunting
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 07:28:11 -0500
Unfortunately, Paul is unreachable, but you made the point as well as it has ever been made on this platform, Tree. Thanks for the Q - it was very smooth, and much better than many I have served up hi.

The notion of renting a station from which to operate remotely bothers me a little. It's easy to visualize people saying, "I have to be away for CQWW CW, so my station is available. What am I bid?" E-bay, anyone? I'm glad I'm too old to count on seeing this idea come to widespread fruition.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
For spots, please go to your favorite
ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.

On 11/5/2012 3:36 AM, Tree wrote:
Paul, EI5DI writes:

It seems to me that remote-control contesting makes
about as much sense as remote-control hunting.
I guess I am not seeing the correlation between the two.

The nature of the way the radio works is that the human is interfacing to
what is happening in the RF playground using a "modem" if you will (the
radio).  Inside modern radios - signals are likely being converted to a
bunch of numbers and back into something the human can hear.  I don't see
how changing that signal back into a bunch of numbers and sending them to
the kitchen or India changes the nature of the "hunt" at all.  (I saw a
posting from someone recently where they finished a contest in the kitchen
because they had to feed the kids he was "babysitting" while the contest
was still on).

When I "hunted" my last section - the experience was just the same as if I
was at home (except for trying to deal with the latency issue).  When VE3ZI
came back to "W7?" - it was a great feeling.  That's why we contest - for
the "feeling" - and it is no different.  I had to find the station - figure
out when (and where) to call him.  I would have gone through the same exact
steps if I were at the station.  The chase was the same.  Nobody helped me
"point the gun" or even load it.

I can see something like this being a great option for people who don't
have a station but want to get involved in a contest.  I know others are
already doing this.  I don't see how this is a bad thing (other than it
made me a bit more of a lid than I normally am).  More activity in the
contest is good for the contest.

Tree N6TR
CQ-Contest mailing list

CQ-Contest mailing list