Re: [CQ-Contest] Rules off the table ?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Rules off the table ?
From: Art Boyars <artboyars@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 16:14:12 -0500
1.  N3QE said "Of course, to a guy in California, maybe Minnesota is "the
East Coast" :-)."

Nah.  To NCCC, "East Coast" is anything landward of their Club circle.

Yes, a gratuitous dig, but I couldn't help it after praising NCCC for their
multi-year effort to stir up SS participation.  Besides, if I rile them up,
maybe they will focus on SS again.

- - - - - - - - -
2.  K3LR said "John, W2GD won the ARRL SS CW single operator category from
his home station in New Jersey in 1978."

Sure 'nuff.  But it reminds me of something I posted today on the CarTalk
Repair and Maintenance disussion (Subj: Changing perspective): "I was just
reading a post here about trouble with a 2002 car. I thought, 'He shouldn't
have that problem with so new a car.'  Then I realized, 'Wait a minute!
That car is 11 years old!' "

Hmmm!  11-yr old car = one sunspot cycle.  1978 SS record = a little more
than three sunspot cycles.  What does it all mean?

Should we consider that W4KFC used to battle it out with W2IOP/W9IOP for SS
win?  That was just a little before my time, but, as I recall, the lore was
that West Coast did not have a chance because East Coast (and Midwest?)
could work each other on 80M/40M.  Oh, how things have changed.  For
several years it seemed that West Coast had unbeatable advantage (at peaks
of sunspot cycle) because they could run East Coast and Midwest on the high
bands.  (See NN1N's article in NCJ several years ago.)

73, Art K3KU