Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R Practice Problem

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R Practice Problem
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 17:26:29 -0500
Sadly, I think that the ratio of people doing SO2R well to the whole group doing SO2R is pretty low. It's hard to do well.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
For spots, please go to your favorite
ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.

On 2/18/2013 4:29 PM, KB1H wrote:
During the recent ARRL DX CW contest the experience of someone obviously using
SO2R and trying to hold a frequency while going away for some other QSO reared
it's head on 40M.

Finding what seemed to be a clear frequency at 7003.5 after QRLing many times
with no answer only to have a station come back after 2-3 minutes starting to
call CQ. OK, so I can understand how this can happen even though we worked 2 or
3 stations before the US station returned. Should I leave the frequency? Maybe.
 Then he disappears for another 2-3 minutes. We work some more DX. Then he
comes back calling CQ again. The time gone was just too long to expect a clear
frequency when returning.

I really can't remember what we finally did. I think we moved but it was
irritating for 15 minutes I am sure ruining both our rates. Next time we just
will have to see who wins.

73
Dick - KB1H

Visit "The Barnstormers Contest Group - NZ1U"
website http://www.qsl.net/kb1h/
24/7 Webcam Link on the website Email KB1H@arrl.net YCCC----> http://www.yccc.org/ KB1H DXSpider Node ------> dxc.kb1h.com port 7300

NZ1U-3 Skimmer -----> dxc.kb1h.com  port 7303