Re: [CQ-Contest] Special teams WRTC

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Special teams WRTC
From: Doug Grant <dougk1dg@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 11:07:35 -0500
<wa1fcn@charter.net> said:

> Hi All
>
> In looking over WRTC rules and so forth on thier website
> I noticed  #4  Special teams
>                     Sponsored teams  #1  thru  #4
>
> I may have read about it before and just forgot, but
> What are Sponsored Teams ?
>
> 73 BoB WA1FCN

I can answer this.

Sponsored Teams are selected by individuals or organizations that have
made a very large donation to WRTC2014. A Team Sponsor may choose to
be one of the operators, or may select another operator to represent
him. Operators must be approved by the WRTC2014 Organizers and be bona
fide world-class operators.

The practice of having a few Sponsored Team spots is permitted by the
WRTC Sanctioning Committee as a way to help fund the event. Sponsored
Teams competed in Brazil in 2006 and Russia in 2010.

Of the four Sponsored Team slots available at WRTC2014, one has been
claimed, two more are currently available, and the last one will be
auctioned in either late 2013 or early 2014. I have received several
serious inquiries on the terms and conditions of Team Sponsorship, so
if you are interested, I would advise contacting me sooner rather than
later.

The donation level for a Team Sponsorship at WRTC2010 was set at 50
000 euro (about 70 000 US dollars). For WRTC2014, the donation level
is set at 50 000 US dollars (or euro equivalent...we are flexible).

We have also established a VIP Donor program for individuals who want
to attend WRTC2014 and the ARRL Centennial National Convention in
nearby Hartford on the following weekend. The VIP Donor Package
includes lodging at the HQ hotel and meals for the 12-day period,
private receptions with the competitors, a round of golf with a
"celebrity contester" (hint: retired Admirals, major league baseball
player, contest directors), "all-access" passes to both WRTC2014
events and ARRL Convention events, an opportunity to operate the IARU
contest from a W1 station (several options available), private
concierge service, and special tours. The donor level for this package
is comparable to the price of a high-end transceiver and amplifier and
will provide a once-in-a-lifetime experience for any contester. This
package will only be offered to a maximum of 20 people.

Please contact me directly if you are interested in either the VIP
Donor package or a Team Sponsorship.

73,

Doug K1DG
Chairman, WRTC2014, Inc.