Re: [CQ-Contest] Love my operating chair

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Love my operating chair
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 10:41:53 -0400 (EDT)
I've found a comfortable station layout that is somewhat different from the
 traditional setup.

I start from the usual radio set back on a desk configuration. I have the
keyboard on a slide out shelf below the desk, the bottom of which rests
almost  directly on my lap. I have enough extra cable length to slide the
radios
to  the front edge of the desk, so the main controls are immediately above
the  keyboard, slightly to either side of the center of the keyboard (Or
directly above in a one radio contest, such a single band one.)

I have two paddles: the main one immediately to the right of the radio; and
 a secondary one, a tiny K9LU Bulldog magnetic mount paddle, on the upper
right  hand corner of the keyboard.

With this layout the movement, for both hands and eyes, between the
keyboard and main radio is only several inches.

Secondly, I use an office chair with no arms. With this, my arms and
shoulders drop down in a relaxed manner, no scrunching of my shoulders, and
less
sideways bending of my wrists compared to when elbows are resting out away
from by body on a chair arm. The chair back can go back to almost a 45
degree  angle, so I can be almost laying back while operating.

The monitor is on the desk, to the right of and back from the radios. It is
 about 40" from my eyes, far enough to be seen through the top half of my
bifocal  lenses, but close enough to be useable  with my single field
computer  glasses.

The radios can still be slid back on the desk should I like to operate in
that position. That can be useful when doing serious S&P operating when
fiddling with receiver controls to pull out weak ones is a frequent occurrence.

73  -  Jim   K8MR

In a message dated 3/13/2013 9:24:31 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,