Re: [CQ-Contest] [cq-contest] Golden Goose redux...

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [cq-contest] Golden Goose redux...
From: "Rick Kiessig" <kiessig@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 13:58:44 +1300
Let's extend this example a little further. What if those six operators
share information with each other about your run frequency, and they all
call you, but don't let you know what they're doing? Wouldn't you still
benefit from the actions of *other operators*?

In other words, those "assistants" are not just contributing to your score
when you're connected to a DX cluster. Each station you contact as a result
of the information you receive also has their score increase. While the
other operator is not searching for stations to call like you are, they are
still benefiting from the cluster. In fact, because they are staying on one
frequency, they can receive *many* more contacts as a result of being on the
cluster than you can make by calling stations you find.

Current rules seem to ignore this very basic fact.

My view is that the "assisted" categories are one-sided, artificial and
misleading, in addition to being nearly impossible to enforce consistently.
My first choice would be to abolish the distinction entirely. However,
another option might be to have operators who claim to be "unassisted"
receive zero points while they are running for any QSO where the other
operator is assisted. If that suggestion seems outrageous, and yet you truly
value the idea of operating unassisted, my question is why?

In the end, contesting does not happen on a level playing field, and there's
no reason to have rules that pretend to make it different. Not only are such
rules a waste of the organizer's time, but they make it so no one can
completely trust the results in the end.

73, Rick ZL2HAM