[CQ-Contest] How to Succeed in Contests Without Really Trying

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] How to Succeed in Contests Without Really Trying
From: Paul O'Kane <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 11:29:33 +0000

Like all good conjuring tricks, it's obvious once
you know how it's done.

1.  Operate from a reasonably "rare" country.

2.  Make sure a there's a local MO station
    within ground wave range (on all bands)

3.  Get 6 panadaptors, so that you can see
    exactly where the MO is (or was) at all
    times.

4.  Run as fast as you can on whatever band
    gives best rates.

5.  As time permits, follow the traces on the
    panadaptors to identify and work potential
    mults recently worked by the local MO.
    Chances are that you'll need the same mults
    as them.

6.  Enter as SOAB - Unconnected and Unassisted.

There are a few choice words, in English, to
describe this behaviour.

Similar words apply to contest sponsors who,
knowing about this practice, either do nothing
or attempt to deflect attention with spurious
surveys.

I can suggest two ways they might get smarter.

1.  Introduce a rule stating
    "at the absolute discretion of the
     sponsors, and without right of appeal,
     entrants who may be considered not to
     have followed the rules AND the spirit
     of their chosen category will be
     disqualified for a period of 5 years"

     Edit as appropriate :-)

2.   Introduce a rule for SO Unconnected
     limiting band and/or mode changes to
     6 per clock hour - or some lower number.

I don't know what to suggest about in-band
spots - but then it's not my responsibility.

73,
Paul EI5DI