Re: [CQ-Contest] A 24-hour category? was: Re: How many hours do SOAB ent

To: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A 24-hour category? was: Re: How many hours do SOAB entrants actually operate?
From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 13:44:39 -0700
On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 09:32:53AM -0500, Ron Notarius W3WN wrote:

> I suspect that you'd see an upswing in activity, and an upswing in
> logs turned in (both competitive and check logs) in most weekend/48
> hour contests that would add a Single Op 24 hour time-limited
> category.

Maybe.  You should try it.

> I think it would be a lot of fun to try it!

Then do it.

Back before there was an assisted single op category in contests K1AR
got on and operated assisted but submitted his log as multiop.  There
was no category - but this did not stop John from getting on the radio
and doing assisted.  After a few years there was an assisted category.

In the ARRL Sweepstakes contest there is a school club category.  As I
recall the ARRL was approached about adding this category for
university club stations. The ARRL was not interested.  So WM5R
created a contest within the existing contest.  He talked it up and
got entries and published results.

http://www.collegiatechampionship.org/

After a few years the ARRL added a school club category to the ARRL
Sweepstakes contest.

There is nothing stopping you (or others) from creating a a 24 hour
category for CQ WW or ARRL DX or whatever.  If you really think it is
a great idea then prove it.

If you start now you have plenty of time to talk this up
and get the word out for the CQ WW contest this year.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii@kkn.net