[CQ-Contest] VE1AL SK

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] VE1AL SK
From: Yuri Blanarovich <k3bu@optimum.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 20:11:17 -0400 (EDT)

Just got the news:

VE1AL (ex VE1GN, VE3FRA, VE3VX), Alan Robert Leith, passed away
yesterday totally unexpectedly.  He was 66.  His daughter came home
from work Thursday and "found that he'd passed away, apparently from
a heart attack", says VE1BVD, Phil.  "I've known Al since I was
licensed, and he was a true, blue DXer" remembers VE1DX, Paul.   Your
editor had the pleasure of meeting Al at Dayton one year.  VE1AL made
it to the ARRL DXCC # 1 Honor Roll spot before P5 North Korea was
added to the DXCC list.  VE1AL had 334/353 confirmed in the ARRL DXCC
Mixed standings.  Al was part of the 1989 CY9DXX DXpedition to St.
Paul Island and a year later from CY0DXX on Sable Island.  He also
operated from Bermuda as VP9/VE1AL.  Al edited both the VE3FRA DX
Report and the Canadian DX Association's Long Skip.  In addition to
that he was also a QSL manager for close to a dozen stations!  He was
a member of FOC and the Toronto DX Club.

73,  Doug  VE3MV

RIP Al!
Will miss the fun days of TDX and CANADX meetings and comraderie!

Yuri, K3BU, VE3BMV, VE1BY ...