[CQ-Contest] Remote Operation, et al.

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Remote Operation, et al.
From: D Rodman MD <rodman@buffalo.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 12:43:35 -0400
I have skimmed over some of the bandwidth concerning remote operation.  I have
been operating my
station by remote control for over 10 years.  We have developed an elaborate
interface system using
various programs, vendors and homebrewed items to allow remote operation of 8
rotatable yagis, 4-
Square transmit antenna for 80m, single band wires, and listening antennas
including K9AY loop, DX
Engineering circular array and bidirectional beverages.  In short, anything I
wish to do in person
can be accomplished remotely also including operating the amplifier, log,
change stacks and change
modes.  My station is used occasionally remotely, but I would rather be there
in person.  Perhaps
it is my personal preference or bandwidth availability but in a word, I would
NEVER consider remote
contest operation.  The internet is just too slow.  Even a hundred milliseconds
of audio delay each
way is enough to hamper what I feel is the response needed to meet my needs and
capabilities to be
competitive.  The system is ideal for making repairs.  I can turn or test a
rotor or antenna while
on the tower by using my iPhone.  I have even made QSO's on CW while on the
tower in order to test
an antenna.  But contesting, I don't think so.  For casual operation, it is a
blast to sit at the
kitchen or in a condo a few thousand miles away and operate.

David J Rodman, MD

Assistant Clinical Professor
Department of Ophthalmology
SUNY/Buffalo