Re: [CQ-Contest] Multi Op and SO2R Station Configuration

To: Kevin Stockton <n5dx2005@yahoo.com>,cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Multi Op and SO2R Station Configuration
From: "Richard L. King" <k5na@ecpi.com>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2013 14:51:44 +0000
Hi Kevin.

I have worked with this problem here at K5NA for years. I call it "exploding" the station (to multi-op) and "imploding" the station (to SO2R). This is a task that would usually take me a couple of days to complete.

Unless you can afford to have six SO2R stations, there is the problem that you will have to take one of the radios off the SO2R device and put it on a separate controlling device for computer keying and radio control. That is the hardest part and I don't know how you might put hardware in place to make both configurations easily applied.

The troublesome part of changing the station from SO2R to multi that I have managed to overcome is the movement of coax cables between stations. I bought the 4x8 antenna switch box from Array Solutions along with cables and band pass filters for the K3s. All the switching is driven from the K3s output and never needs to be moved around. So no additional antenna control is needed to convert the two K3s used for SO2R to multi-op usage. The radios select antennas first-come, first-served and the antenna is locked out for the other stations.

We now we have four stations always set up and I do not have to drag coax around to get any station to any antenna. Since Susan (K5DU) and I both operate a lot, this has made our antenna switching life a LOT easier.

Good luck. I would be anxious to see a summary of the responses you get.

73, Richard - K5NA