Re: [CQ-Contest] Field Day Rules Change(s)

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Field Day Rules Change(s)
From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@arrl.org>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 12:34:24 -0400

To me, part of any operating event is an opportunity to learn, to test one's
skill, to figure out how to do better than the last time.

I consider folks who go out for a social event in a total different class than
folks who go out to learn.

I get tired of setting up multiple stations, having 25 or more licensed people
show up, yet having only half dozen sign the logs and do any sort of operating.

For many years down in SW Ohio, I operated with such a bunch.  I personally often made
more points than the rest of the crew did, especially when I broke off,went down the
drive a bit, and operated Class 1B-1Op Battery (QRP).  And, one year when we had 3
"semi-serious" CW operators we made more contacts and well over twice the
number of points, as the combined score of the other 2 or 3 stations.  (I don't recall
which category we were in at the time).

Yes, Field day is a "relaxed" operation, but why go out, set up stations, and
then let them sit idle for hours at a time?

Consider me an olde grouche on this subject.  But, it has been a sore point since the
late 60's or early 70's, so perhaps in those daze I was considered a "younger
grouche"?

As for the "rule" change, if Field Day is just a social event, why do we need
any rules whatsoever?

72/73 de n8xx Hg
QRP >99.44% of the time