Re: [CQ-Contest] When is speed not speedy?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] When is speed not speedy?
From: "Mike & Coreen Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 23:38:02 -0300
After being away from contesting, more or less, for a dozen years, I've
finally got my contesting speed up around 31wpm. It took me about 3 years to
go from 20-22wpm to the present day 'contest speed' (not conversational
speed) It's not fast, but it's fast enough for my little peanut whistle
station & my aging brain.

I am not some big m/m or anything, but there are times I can run.  I usually
run @ 31wpm.  If the pile is all calling at this speed, I stay

@ 31wpm.  If the pile gets unruly and signals are strong,  I may speed up to
33-35wpm to get things done quickly so I can get back to 31wpm...

Now, if I am CQing and CQing and someone calls me at 27-29wpm I won't slow
down.  If they call me at 15-25wpm, I will ALWAYS slow down to something
approaching or matching that speed, out of respect.  The guy/gal has heard
me, presumably has my call(?_) and wants to give me a contact.

They don't feel comfortable at 31wpm, so why not punch the page-down key on
my keyboard 3, 4, 5 or whatever times?  They almost always, without fail,
get the exchange the very first time and then I say "TU VE9AA" as I am
punching the speed back up.  If I had stayed @ 31wpm, chances are he'll
recognize his call but will botch the exchange. If he submits a log, I lose.
If I slow down and he submits a log, we both win.  I like to have friends in
contests and know what it's like when some fancy pants guy sends me a cut #
report @ 44wpm and blows over the top of my head.  Sometimes it just doesn't
get logged.  Respect !

If I was some bigwig 10kW and stacked arrays contester I can say I would do
the same thing for the same reason.  You have to understand.or I hope you
do.that the casual op, or even the serious op comfortable with slower CW
speeds are what these contests are all about.  The 'serious guys' sending at
blazing speeds are in the minority. (or at least that's my impression). I
think between equal matched competitors, the guy who will win, will be the
guy who matches some or all of the slower callers.

Respect speed limits !  It doesn't have to always be in km/h..sometimes MPH
will get the job done.

VE9AA-Mike

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB