[CQ-Contest] Error free RBN

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Error free RBN
From: Hal Kennedy <halken@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 12:41:20 -0400
I may be by myself all alone out in the woods with this opinion, but I like the RBN having errors. The "image problem" is probably something worth filtering out to the degree technically possible, but the rest? I like the errors.

As a usually-assisted operator, one of my discriminators, just as in unassisted, is experience. I know A LOT of the calls by heart, I can do "off-by-one" in my head. I know how strong particular stations and stations in general should be at any given hour, and who has clix, who goes slow and who goes fast, and I also know how RBN errors tend to look in real-time and over time. This allows me to mentally filter the errors out.

I'd like to continue to see operators have to actually copy the callsign and exchange to be sure, and to keep their UBN under control - which goes away with error-free data. I like the errors, they benefit those who have put in the work and and are willing to copy it all, when others can't or won't. I also think (or hope?) the errors encourage others to pick up their game.

With the best of intentions....

73,
Hal
N4GG