Re: [CQ-Contest] KA9SWE skimmer frequencies - is it just me ?

To: Mike & Coreen Smith VE9AA <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] KA9SWE skimmer frequencies - is it just me ?
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 06:33:09 -0400
Hi Mike - I noticed those spots over the weekend, but was too busy dealing with other issues here, and so haven't been in touch with him yet.

From the info we have, it appears that KA9SWE's running some sort of SDR that puts out stereo audio in I/Q format, probably a Softrock. If there is too great a disparity between the phase or amplitude of the two channels, the result is an I/Q image, which will appear at a frequency that is offset from the receiver's center frequency by the same amount as it is, but in the opposite direction. For example, if his center frequency was set at 14040, and you were really at 14020, then the image would appear at 14060.

KA9SWE has not been putting out "image spots" before this weekend (that I know of), so he should be able to fix his problem, whatever it is.

The new RBN filtering system, now in public beta test, is designed to let the user decide whether to ignore such spots until/unless it becomes apparent that the CQing station actually has QSYed.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.