Re: [CQ-Contest] Question...Power

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Question...Power
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 08:54:23 -0600
What is the intent of the rule?

If you have a 1500W amp in use but legally operating within your class will you be tempted to turn it up if you really need to work that rare mult?

If the rules say the max output should be 500 watts why would they care if it was from the radio or an amp?

Specify that the maximum transmitted power is XXX. Why get involved with attempting to disallow things that cannot be checked.

Most rigs have a maximum of 100 watts out. Some rigs have an output of 200 watts or 400 watts. What is the difference between owning a rig capable of 200w or 400w watts out or adding a amp in line? Isn't the temptation the same?

Which option if any outputs the cleanest signal?

Mike W0MU