Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 132, Issue 2

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>, K1AR@aol.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 132, Issue 2
From: XV4Y <xv4y@nature-mekong.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 15:36:45 +0700
Hi John,

I think we all agree on that. We need to find new contesters (and new HAMs).
That goes on pair with restructuring the scoring system in my mind.

This is how I characterized young people :
- They are mostly located in "southern countries" and India, China, South-East
Asia. NA and EU have their population aging.
- They usually have young kids and work. They are not able to do 48 hours
contesting. Any way of getting rewarded for even 6 hours of contest on 80m +
10m (one saturday evening and one sunday afternoon by example) will make them
join the contest instead of complaining of being relegated to WARC bands.
- For the same reason above, their budget top priorities are home, food and
school. Going to Aruba or buying a new tower in order to be competitive is far
on their list.
- They don't like to wait. They were grown up in all mobile-phone and internet
world. Waiting is suspicious. 1 month to wait in order to have the results of a
2 day competition is quite weird. I have no example coming to my mind were the
jury decision is taking more time than the competition itself (apart from
litigation to solve).

For me several recent changes to CQ contests rules go to the right direction :
- 5 days submission deadline
- classic and rookie overaly
Having to register before the contest and provide informations about your
participation could allow to real-time or at least very fast score computation.
However this could be detrimental to our activity as it is opposed to some of
its specificity :
- Going to a remote island often limits internet access.
- Being highly dependent on public infrastructures like telecom network is
contrary to the core definition of amateur-radio : ability to handle
communications by themselves.
- HAM are often independent and choose this activity because they can go
following their own agenda. Requiring to register before will make a lot of the
"small pistols" scared.

Just my own opinion.
73,
Yan.