Re: [CQ-Contest] Evolving scoring systems

To: Ken Low <kenke3x@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Evolving scoring systems
From: "Jack Haverty." <k3fiv@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 10:15:34 -0800
Ken,

Thanks for an interesting look into another world!  I think your analysis
is right on target.

It seems to me that there's another difference between our "Radiosport"
activities and the worlds of Guild Wars et al.    It's the difference
between a Contest and a Game.

By "Contest" I mean a competition which seeks to rank its participants in
terms of their demonstrated prowess at something.  It might focus on radio
skills (our contests), or physical ability (think athletics), or mental
ability (think chess tournaments), or whatever.  A Contest is designed to
test some skill.

By "Game", I mean a competition which seeks to rank its participants only
in terms of their performance in playing the game.   The skill they measure
with points is simply the skill at playing the game.  A Game is designed to
maximize fun.

Of course, both Contests and Games can involve the need for strategy and
tactics, and serve to exercise our mental and physical abilities.  But
Games are more fun, for more players, than Contests.   So more people
participate, to play more than to compete.

It might be interesting if you asked your son to find some of his other
Gaming friends who also have a ham license forgotten in some drawer to get
together and design a Game where the playing field is ham radio.  No
preconceived notions about what such a game is, just a blank slate.  Using
what they know about games, how would they play a game using radio?
Scoring not trying to measure radio skill or level an uneven playing field,
or preserve old records, but just designed to make it fun.  They might find
the task of inventing such a game to be an interesting challenge.

They might have some interesting ideas about introducing the "social"
aspect of Games into the radio playing field to increase the fun.  For
example, in many of our contests we have the notion of teams.   But other
than adding all of their scores together, it doesn't seem to me that teams
today do any coordination during a contest.   They're called a "team", but
they're not acting as a team, they're just lone players out on the field,
and may never even encounter each other.  Radio contests with teams and
something like "voice chat" to actually behave as a coordinated
multi-player force - that might be interesting and fun - even with today's
scoring schemes in existing contests.   Who has the best team strategy and
tactics...?

Your son and friends could invite us old crusty radio experts to play in
their radio Game, and we'd all enjoy the fun of them beating the pants off
us...

73,
/Jack de K3FIV