Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Scoring System needs revision?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Scoring System needs revision?
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 09:29:13 -0700
Location is more of a factor in winning than skill. You are correct there will never be a fair playing field but have contest organizers tried to limit the location factor. Not really.

To me the overlay categories are consolation prizes. Lets give everyone a ribbon for trying.

We do it for fun.

Should the rules out of the box favor places like PJ, W1, D4, etc? A contestant in Colorado or Wyoming or Minnesota should have as good a shot at winning as does a W1. It will never happen though. When a small station with a low tribander on east coast can run EU all day working stuff I can't hear, I have no shot with the current rules.

You have two major population centers making hay with each other while the rest of us get scraps.

Mike W0MU