Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL 10m Contest - Single Band Strategy ?

To: Dirk Hacker <dirk.hacker@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL 10m Contest - Single Band Strategy ?
From: Jeff Kinzli <kinzli@kinzlicoils.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 14:04:27 -0800
Solar flux is rising and predicted to rise - so conditions *might* be
very good on 10M. If the K index is low, keep an ear out over the
poles (N and S) for openings - and for sure listen for a
long-path-like opening around 11PM - 2AM localtime (I think its more
like a backscatter phenomenon).  Just because its dark and you don't
hear much, don't discount the oddball paths. Some of the most fun I've
had on 10m has been in the dark, in directions that you may not expect
activity. That backscatter path is more common/usable closer to the
equator, but you never know, and its also somewhat dependant on
solar/ionosphere conditions, not to mention activity. If enough people
expect it, it may happen :) - meaning if enough people point their
antennas in the right direction at the right time(s) then its likely
some will be able to exploit it.

If, on the other hand, we have a solar flare, depending on where/when,
you might have luck with beaming north (or NE) to SM/OH/ES late in the
local afternoon/evening.

Of course, there's the standard paths that we all know and love. Those
should be exploited as much as possible as thats where the crowds will
be. The other more esoteric openings might get you a few mults you
might not normally get.

One of the tricks is to determine your time commitment to CW vs. SSB
(if you're doing mixed-mode) - CW gets you 2x the points, but there
will be mults on SSB that aren't there on CW most likely (and of
course the other way around). So you have to determine what is your
most productive mode, but make time for the other mode for mults (or
QSO count).

The other thing that makes this a little different is that your
neighboring state is worth just as much as that super rare DXCC mult -
so don't miss the easy ones!

Its probably a little late for new antennas - but if you could have a
antenna pointed in each major direction switchable by switch, rather
than rotating, that would help a lot.

Personally, I have only 1 of two antennas up that I plan to use this
weekend - will build the second one tomorrow morning :) I'm not doing
any sort of serious effort though, just enjoying conditions as time
allows.

Have fun!!

73 de N6GQ