Re: Topband: Fwd: The Stew Perry TopBand DX Challenge #18

To: "Lew Sayre" <w7ew@arrl.net>, <topband@contesting.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Fwd: The Stew Perry TopBand DX Challenge #18
From: "Milt -- N5IA" <n5ia@zia-connection.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 13:34:03 -0700
To all who are gearing up to operate in the Stew Perry Distance Challenge this
coming weekend.

You will note that I am the sponsor of one of the unique plaque offerings in
the upcoming SPDC contest.  The following is my reply to a previous inquiry
regarding the 'RULES' to be considered for the "Highest Score Daytime Operation
Only" plaque.

“The sponsored plaque will be winnable only by those stations that conform to a
‘Sun in the Sky’ parameter.  It is actual sunrise for a morning start and
actual sunset for an afternoon ending, at the operator’s TX site.

At my latitude the sun rises at ~7:15 AM and sets at ~4:50 PM, local MST at 119
degrees west.  So I have historically, from the beginning in 1996, operated the
Stew from 5 PM to 7 AM.

For a number of years I have done the following because the SPDC is a single
night, 14 hours only contest.  The 14 hours wasn’t enough operating time and I
wanted to have some more fun and get some more signals on the air.

I have encouraged others to do the same but perhaps I am the only one really
doing this extended operation.

Since the Stew begins at 8 AM local, 1500 Z on Saturday morning, nearly an hour
after sunrise, I operate HIGH POWER with a club call sign (N7GP) until the band
fades away.  I come back at mid-afternoon, 3 PM local, and again operate at
HIGH POWER with the club call sign for nearly two hours.

At 5 PM local, 0000 Z, a few minutes after sunset, I start operating at QRP
level with my own call sign, N5IA.  I continue for 14 hours and finish the QRP
operation at 7 AM local, 1400 Z, a few minutes before sunrise.  At sunrise I
again operate HIGH POWER with the N7GP call sign for another 45 minutes or so
until the end of the contest at 1500 Z.

I then submit TWO entries, one as a High Power operation with the N7GP call
sign and one as a QRP operation with the N5IA call sign.”

For those that are interested in my 3830 report of my 2012 ‘Daylight Only’
operation, you can go to
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/3830/2012-12/msg02391.html

I encourage everyone to operate with a 2nd call sign outside the normal 14
hours with a primary call sign.  And I highly recommend the operation be a ‘Sun
in the Sky’ operation.  Let’s see who has the advantage in this one.  Perhaps
one of our more southern latitude ops with more daylight can take advantage and
win this first time offered plaque.  Who knows.  Just do it.  Give it a try.
In some places you will be like fresh meat to the hordes.  Enjoy a run fest.

CU all in the STEW.

de Milt, N5IA, who will also operate a daylight operation as N7GP but will not
be eligible to win the plaque.