Re: [CQ-Contest] Let's ban "inband", too

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Let's ban "inband", too
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2014 10:32:52 -0700
The point is that you are choosing to wait. There are many doctors available and some may make you wait less and some may make you wait more. Just like DX you might wait longer for rare dx or a rare multiplier.

Waiting is YOUR choice.

The only reason this rule is being placed in effect is because you the caller can't move along.

From the Nov/Dec 2013 NCJ

Ward N0AX writes:

"The All-Time Number one worst time waster from the other end of the QSO is not identifying" "I should just train myself to move on and find another station to work. Nevertheless, hugely bad sportsmanship on their part. No excuse not identifying ever few QSO's at worst."

You can't manage yourself so you petition the organizers to change the rules. Crazy!

Isn't contesting a competition? When I compete in the contest it is to MAXIMIZE MY SCORE, not yours! What you might consider bad sportsman ship is maximizing my score. I am not intentionally wasting your time by not Identifying, I happen to have a huge pileup of people that know who I am. What makes you so special that I need to change my operating habits because you happened to find me?

Where do we want to take this? QRP stations can be weak, yet I have to waste my time trying to pull them out of the noise? We should require that all stations run 1500 watts and tribanders or better at 50 ft? How about code speed. Maybe we need to regulate it so you must send between 35-40wpm. Anything less and you are wasting my time and anything less than the above is poor sportsmanship right?

Was it poor sportsmanship in the Superbowl for the Seattle defenders to crush, hold, push, shove, impede the Denver receivers, some of which could be considered against the rules, even though the officials didn't throw a flag? NO. There was no mention of Seattle being poor sports was there? Is the NFL going to change their rules so that what Seattle did on defense will not be allowed because they were poor sports? NO!

Most of the posts are saying that there is an ENTITLEMENT to work each and every station you come across in a contest. That is simply not true.

We need rules. We need to enforce the ones we already have and we need to make them clear and concise and we need rules that can be enforced. Less is more in this case.

Where are the hard facts on how many stations are not identifying on a regular basis? Back up the rule with hard facts. Lacking facts this rule change is made because the organizers are hesitant, afraid or resistant to discussing the issue with the offenders. How are we coming on policing the power issues? Not very far. The real issue is that if I don't send in a long I can do whatever I want and you people are still going to be complaining.

How are those drug laws and traffic laws working? Nobody speeds and there are no drugs on the street right?

If we want to make changes then education is key not more rules. Get out to the contest clubs and write articles with facts not just opinions, as opinions are like.......etc.... Prove to me that my score is going to go up because I ID every contact if you can. Real facts please.

What happened to the person running the pileup was in charge?

I agree that stations should identify on regular basis and the vast majority do! I don't agree with the rule the way it is written and slid out under the cover of darkness. It is not enforceable and only addresses competitors who send in logs.

Mike W0MU