Re: [CQ-Contest] This IS cheating, right?

To: Radio K0HB <kzerohb@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] This IS cheating, right?
From: Bob Davis <bobnq3x@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 10:44:20 -0400
Oh, for pity's sake, no this tired old excuse for "logic."

By your "logic," any operating aid beyond a certain arbitrary point you
seem to have set without really defining it is questionable.

Okay, let's play that game of Slippery Slope and roll back at least a
generation of advancement. What other operating aids would you ban? DSP?
After all, it can help you hear better. Gain antennas? After all, they make
signals louder. "They" didn't have those things when contesting started, so
they must be unethical - if your logic is taken to an extreme.

If you don't like a particular technology, don't use it. But don't have the
staggering arrogance to presume to tell other people they're wrong for so
doing.

73 de Bob WP2XX

On Feb 23, 2014 10:34 AM, "Radio K0HB" <kzerohb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately that toothpaste is out of the tube, but the software
authors did contesting a terrible wrong when they coded in crutches like
auto-fills and super check partial.

> 73, de Hans, K0KB
>

> 🌵Sent from Arizona 🌞
>
> On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 3:36 PM, Rick Lindquist, WW1ME
> <ww1me@roadrunner.com> wrote:
>
> > Okay, conditions for the CQ 160 SSB have been extremely noisy for many
of us
> > along the Eastern Seaboard. Operators have routinely been CQing in the
face
> > of several callers, and few seem to be able to hear me, although I did
snag
> > HK1NA and a guy in Iowa, so the antenna system still works, such as it
is.

> > Anyway, I digress. A station came back to me, but I could not copy his
state
> > among the static crashes, so I asked for a repeat. The op comes back:
"Okay,