Re: [CQ-Contest] Fwd: Radio Laws of Propagation

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Fwd: Radio Laws of Propagation
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 18:38:18 -0500 (EST)
I have no horse in this race, but I looked up KP4KE on QRZ and then  tried
to locate his QTH from QRZ.  I then tried to locate the station on  Google
earth.   The area he is in does not have the best resolution on  Google Earth.

Best I can tell, he sits around 180 feet 600 feet from the ocean  going NW,
800 feet from the ocean going N and 1100 feet from the ocean going  NE.
Slow drop to the cliffs which are about 300 feet away and then a very  steep
drop.

This would appear to be a very superior location especially to the  NW and
N.  Enough to account for the big signal?  I don't know.   I had the
opportunity from 2006 to 2010 to have one as good if not better out at  KH6.  I
was
accused several times of using illegal power in my contest  operations.

I sat at 820 feet,  with the ocean anywhere from 3500 feet to  6500 feet
away and a 450 foot drop less than 300 feet from the tower to the  N.  It is
amazing what terrain can do.  For example, on 40 mtrs going  to EU at 3
degrees angle of arrival (20% of the time signals come at that angle  from EU)
over a flat terrain the average gain was 5 dbi.  My terrain  yielded almost 19
dbi, a net gain over flat terrain of 14dbi.  Terrain can  be a wonderful
thing.

Perhaps someone could run some HFTA on the station to see what kind  of
advantage he has...it would be interesting.

Bill K4XS/KH7XS