Re: [CQ-Contest] Radio Laws of Propagation....Have they been re-invented

To: Edward Sawyer <SawyerEd@Earthlink.net>, "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Radio Laws of Propagation....Have they been re-invented?
From: RT Clay <rt_clay@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 06:22:25 -0800 (PST)
I don't have any comment on KP4KE/NP2P, but I would like to make some comments
re using the RBN data to compare stations:

The procedure of picking two SINGLE skimmer spots at similar times is never a
reliable way to compare signal strengths. Remember, different stations, even if
they are spotted at nearly the same time, are at different frequencies which
may have very different QRM, QSB, etc. Skimmer can measure properties of a
signal, but there is a large fluctuation. This fluctuation is not necessarily
just from propagation differences. I expect the signal strength reported
already includes some averaging over the time skimmer has decoded the callsign,
but more is really needed for accurate strength measurements.

A good example is the skimmer measurement of phase and amplitude used for I/Q
balance correction (which of course has no propagation difference issues). The
I/Q balance measurements is only possible through averaging a very large number
of signal measurements. In my case I wrote my own code for SO2SDR to do a
similar averaging so I am quite aware of the amount of fluctuation- it can be
huge, even for strong signals! Understanding that you have to use the data in a
statistical sense is important- single measurements are not very reliable.

To get a meaningful comparison, you need to average a series of skimmer spots
occurring in a short time (< 1 hour?) together. This is most easily seen using
the "Spot analysis tool" on the reversebeacon web page. You want to look at the
average of the measurements over a certain time, not the peaks or dips.

To give a concrete example from the K1LZ/N1UR comparison, look up 02/15/2014,
choose the DF4UE skimmer:

10m : around 1430z: K1LZ fluctuates around about 40 dB, N1UR around 30 dB

15m: draw two horizontal lines through the points between 1500 and 1800. K1LZ
is about 7dB stronger. If you looked at the K1LZ outlier point at 1549z and
compared to N1UR at 1547z, you might think N1UR is much louder.

20,40: similar comparisons can be made, showing 5-10 dB in favor of K1LZ.

80,160: not enough data here

So yes, N1UR may have a good qth, but I think skimmer data does show that K1LZ
is nearly 10 dB louder into Europe in this case on all bands.

Tor
N4OGW/5