Re: [CQ-Contest] Cabrillo Records beginning with X

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Cabrillo Records beginning with X
From: David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 00:48:01 -0500
Paul,

Speaking as the log-checker of the ARRL 10M contest, and the ARRL 160M contest (which is checked using the same software), you are not completely correct.

An "X" at the beginning of a Cabrillo line doesn't mean that line is necessarily "ignored by the robot and any checking software". My understanding is that a line beginning with an "X" is simply not part of the official Cabrillo specification. It may be disregarded by the robot or checking software, or it may not. Most of the lines that I've seen in files for the ARRL 10M & 160M Contests beginning with "X" are specialized items added by the robot for special uses by ARRL HQ (at least for ARRL contests; I can't speak for the others).

But there is one "X" keyword which I think is important. A normal Cabrillo QSO line starts with "QSO:";recently, people wanted to be able to mark a QSO as "unclaimed", in cases where they are unsure of their log entry and did not want to risk penalties for a NIL or busted QSO. For an unclaimed QSO, the Cabrillo line starts with "X-QSO:", which I think means "don't check this QSO", not "this QSO may be gibberish, so ignore it". So while we won't score an X-QSO for or against an entrant's score, if possible we will try to use the information to verify the QSO for the station they claimed to have worked, but with no losses or penalties imposed if the X-QSO data is bad.

Again, I'm only speaking for the ARRL 10M & 160M contests in that we support X-QSO. I can't speak for the other ARRL contests.

Your comments sound to me like you're trying to justify the presence of erroneous or poorly-formatted data in any line beginning with an "X". As a software author, I'm puzzled why you would take this position? If it's some unique X-line you invented for the purposes of your software, it's probably not a problem. But please format any "X-QSO" lines just like a "QSO" line for that particular contest. Any excuse not to is lazy programming...

73, Dave/K8CC
ARRL 10M Contest Logchecking Team