[CQ-Contest] RBN - New Servers - Betas test

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>, RBN-OPS@yahoogroups.com, skimmertalk <skimmertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] RBN - New Servers - Betas test
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 08:03:47 -0400
The RBN team, with important outside help (see below), has been working hard to improve our Telnet feed. Standard Telnet cluster servers have a lot of overhead, which can limit throughput or cause hard-to-diagnose bugs, so we are looking for a better solution.

Beginning immediately, there will be two additional servers available on beta test. They are relay1.reversebeacon.net and relay2.reversebeacon,net, both reachable on port 7000. These servers are pure relays, and are not intended for end-users, but rather for connection by "retail" clusters, to which users will connect. As such, they do not support any filtering or other end-user commands, nor do they maintain any databases or other references. They do not determine country, state,zone or anything else from the callsign, and will simply ignore user commands. We believe that this approach will mean more stable and reliable service under future anticipated loads of many times the peak spot flow experienced so far..

Relay 1 is a Windows-based server written by Lee Sawkins, VE7CC. Our thanks to him. Relay 2 is Linux-based, developed by Felipe Ceglia, PY1NB and Dave Pascoe, KM3Tof the RBN team.

We would appreciate any feedbackfrom cluster operators about the service provided by these servers.

--
73, Pete N4ZR
for the RBN team