Re: [CQ-Contest] Difference between the ICE 419 419A & 419B bandpass fil

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Difference between the ICE 419 419A & 419B bandpass filters
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 09:10:53 -0700
On Wed,9/10/2014 6:48 AM, Jay Terleski wrote:
The AS-419 is manually controlled with pushbuttons, and also is on the
Shacklan 4 wire network, as well as can be controlled with a DB9 input jack
like the 419b from ICE.  See it here
http://www.arraysolutions.com/Hamation/bandpasser/bandpasser_II_AS_419.htm

Based on my testing and review of bandpass filters a few years ago, I would expect Jay's implementations in his redesign to be significantly better than Ice's. There were several problems with the ICE filters. First, their capacitors were under-rated for real world conditions, so even a modest mismatch would fry them. Second, relays tended to go intermittent, and fixing that required major disassembly (and probably realignment). Third, their attenuation characteristics weren't very good.

In my tests, the W3NQN-designed filters that Jay sells were the best performers in every respect.

73, Jim K9YC