Re: [CQ-Contest] History of Low Power Category

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] History of Low Power Category
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 13:20:52 -0600
On 09/16/2014 12:20 PM, John Unger wrote:
I think I remember that a number years ago ARRL or NCJ changed the NAQP
from 150W to 100W. As I recall, one of the reasons given was that then
stations would not have to use amps to get up to the 150W level. I was
surprised at that revelation mainly because I had never thought of doing
it! Maybe that ~1dB would have helped...

I will confess that at that time I had a TS-830S that would put out 85 watts on a good day. Running the amp to get to 150 watts is 2.5 dB. I won that NAQP, so they had to change the rules to prevent another win from happening again :) .

73,
Steve, N2IC