Re: [CQ-Contest] PENALTY for dirty rigs (was handicap)

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] PENALTY for dirty rigs (was handicap)
From: Paul O'Kane <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 15:48:03 +0100
On 13/10/2014 12:14, kr2q@optimum.net wrote:

CQWW seems to have a lot more in mind than a "handicap." By the way, AFAI, in
sports,
a handicap can mean that you get some sort of advantage, not a penalty.

Please see the link below, noting especially item A.5. (see text below
<snip>
     5. Signals with excessive bandwidth (e.g., splatter, clicks) or harmonics
on other bands.

With this in mind, I spent some time searching for
stations with excessive bandwidth during the 2013
CQWW CW contest - my K3/P3 combination enables
visible and measurable confirmation of audible
key clicks.

I noted over 300 such "transgressions", some from
VERY well-known stations, and sent a detailed
log (with precise times and frequencies) to the
contest sponsor.  We know they have access to
recordings from a network of SDRs.

My report was acknowledged promptly, saying it
would be passed to the judging team.  The result,
11 weeks later in mid-February 2014, was

  "We took a listen to these with the SDR.
  Unfortunately the SDRs do not have great
  antennas so we can hear the stations, but
  not the key clicks you mention."

Apparently, not a single instance of key clicks
was verifiable and no action was taken.  It seems
there is neither the ability nor the resolve to
to enforce Rule A.5.

73,
Paul EI5DI