[CQ-Contest] Stirring the Pot: No more Unassisted in ARRL VHF Contests?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Stirring the Pot: No more Unassisted in ARRL VHF Contests?
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 14:12:34 +0000 (GMT)
No analogy is perfect and for me, this sail boats vs power boats is really not
applicable.

Anyone can EASILY tell the difference between a sailboat and a power boat.

It is far more difficult to tell the difference between assisted and
unassisted, simply by looking
at the submitted log, especially for "conservative" or "smart" use of
assistance.

Of course, on a related topic, it is also difficult to tell HP from LP, yet
those categories (for
HF contesting) remain in place.

So...from a theoretical perspective, it makes sense to keep assisted and
unassisted separate.
But from a practical perspective (perspective of log checking), there is good
reason to
remove the separation.  I mean, why have separate categories if the log
checkers can't actually
verify those using assistance in a subtle manner, but in a way that can really
impact their final score?

This is my 2 cents and certainly is not a known reflection of what the contest
sponsors may be
thinking (but which at least one has clearly been surveying).

de Doug KR2Q