Re: [CQ-Contest] Need clarification from DL1MGB

To: oe1ems@emssolutions.at
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Need clarification from DL1MGB
From: Tiberiu Tebeica <yo9gzu@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 18:44:54 +0200
As I remember, I was among the youngest WRTC attendees 3 times in a row, last
time the youngest referee. In Boston many would come and say to me: “Hey, you
need to compete, you are too young for a referee, now it is your time to
compete”. I got really determined to give a serious try for the next one.

But in the very first second after I read the qualifying rules, yes, that
Saturday night during CQWW CW, I realized this cannot be achievable. Why?
Because of the drastic cuts in number of teams per area (although paradoxically
total number of competing teams has been increased), crowding the qualifying
events in just two years but keeping the same number of minimum 12 scoring
contests (we have also careers, family, one cannot compete every other
weekend), the weighting factors for assisted vs non assisted and downgrading
M/S efforts (like otherwise would be enough for someone who wants to qualify to
just prepare some coffees for his teammates and the ticket is secured).

The qualifying rules, as they are drawn now, are prohibitive and make me also
seriously consider quitting, before even starting. The most shocking aspect
though is the lack of coherent and punctual answers from the Committee and
their reluctance to even take in consideration any reaction from contest
community.

They are declaring that next WRTC will focus on young operators. In light of
all this, that sounds nothing less than ironic. Or maybe I am already old for
this game.

73 Tibi YO9GZU