Re: [CQ-Contest] What's the difference...

To: "'Art Boyars'" <artboyars@gmail.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] What's the difference...
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 16:12:11 -0500
Art,

In a word:  No.

Some people use middle names or nicknames in NAQP.
Sometimes they use the name of a friend or colleague who is no longer with
us.
Sometimes it's a club call, or the call of a borrowed station, and the name
sent is that of the operator, not the station owner.
And sometimes they use something that's completely different, just to make
sure you actually copy the name sent, not what's listed online.

The ethics over what name to send & why not withstanding... one should
always copy what was sent, and always what was sent.  The online and/or
historical data is a guide, but nothing more.

So no, IMHO, it's not ethical to change it, if what you find online or in
historical data does not match what was sent.

73, ron w3wn