Re: [CQ-Contest] The degradation of multi tasking in contesting

To: Charles Henry <k4vud@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The degradation of multi tasking in contesting
From: Jukka Klemola <jpklemola@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 13:27:13 +0200
Having operated two radios for some hundreds of hours, I consider two radio
tasks to be actually a set of clear sequences one can learn and process as
one chain of tasks..

First, it is bizarre and chaotic.
After some hours, the operator starts to understand what parts of
activities are increasing the multipliers or QSO points.
Building scenarios through thinking starts.

Then, filtering out the unwanted tasks and adding productive tasks lead to
better performance.

This reminds me of old threads discussing if using spotting networks add to
score, reduce the score or are indifferent.
Nobody challenges the increased productivity anymore. Not even the ones who
have never used spotting networks.

To me, it has been clear using one radio with one VFO, I have had lots of
time to think about stuff that is not contest related. That is, from
contest point of view I have had idle time. With two radios I have less
idle time.

People are built to switch between tasks. There are things we actively do
and then there are at least some things we worry about or we want to
advance something. Thinking about those items to worry or advance does
exactly the same as adding more contest activity for your brain to process
in a form of a second VFO or second radio.

Adding spotting network information to that gets even more complicated for
the operator.

Come join us to talk about this live.
http://files.kotisivukone.com/ohdxf.kotisivukone.com/dx__contest_cruise_2015.compressed.pdf

In case anyone wants to join us, send an email.
The ad shows free water at Helsinki harbor. In real life, the sea is solid
frozen during our cruise. We also have a brief stop at OH0 Mariehamn harbor.

73,
Jukka OH6LI