[CQ-Contest] FTDX5000 Upgrade

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] FTDX5000 Upgrade
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 01:23:24 -0800
Jeff, AC0C, has done us all a great service by upgrading his radio and documenting the very significant improvement in occupied TX bandwidth. While his measurement setup is not ideal, it's good enough to show that the new Yaesu firmware is a MAJOR improvement over the truly awful performance of prior versions.

http://www.ac0c.com/main/page_ft5k_cw_occupied_bandwidth.html

Jeff's measurements are not ideal -- AD6E has noted asymmetry in ARRL's data for a few radios that are the result of non-ideal analyzer setup, and this error is present in Jeff's data for the K3. I also suspect that the FTDX 5000 is as close to the K3 as Jeff's data suggests, but it IS a MAJOR improvement over what it was. :) But all of us work with the tools we have available, and Jeff has done some great work here.

This is a team effort -- when I published my TXNoise document last fall comparing ARRL data for popular rigs, I leaked an early version to someone at Yaesu early in the process, and their firmware update was issued a few weeks later. All of us can vote with our bank accounts when we choose which vendors to support. AD6E tells me that a close-in neighbor, KH6CJJ, is running a barefoot TS990 that he can't work within 15 kHz of, and KE1B is making my life, and that of K6XX, miserable with a IC7600 and amp from about 8 miles away.

Every indication is that the new generation of Flex rigs are quite clean, although I've also heard that their user interface is something that even the programmer's mother could not love. DXer, contester, and damn good EE calls the two Flex radios he owns the best he's ever owned, but calls the user interface AWFUL. It seems like the guys who write the code make a dozen or so Qs a year. :)

This is a big deal -- let the mfrs know that it matters in your buying decisions. I approached Ray Novak in the ICOM booth and got icy stares in return. This isn't about dollars -- the TX590S shows up in ARRL testing as a pretty clean rig, and at a very modest cost. Some pretty good ops are using them. If we're not part of the solution, we are part of the problem.

Here's a very preliminary, in-progress report of what I was able to do with a P3/SVGA looking at the gear I own, plus a vintage Yaesu rig borrowed from K6XX. i've been trying to borrow the new Flex and a FTDX5000 to measure in the same setup. My test setup is documented in the pdf.

k9yc.com/P3_SpectrumMeasurements.pdf

73, Jim K9YC