Re: [CQ-Contest] so2r question

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] so2r question
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 10:26:59 -0700
On Thu,3/12/2015 3:58 AM, Rick Dougherty NQ4I wrote:
Hi All...to the SO2R guys...how do you handle the audio to two rigs in SO2R?

I'm using the excellent YCCC SO2R box. It includes WinKey emulation. It switches the keyer, mic, computer message playback, PTT, and headphones between radios on the basis of OTRSP or MKR2 commands via USB from the logging computer. I use VOX rather than the PTT function, because I don't like foot switches. Mic, keyer, and headphones are plugged into the YCCC SO2R box. I use a Tascam US100 stereo USB audio interface for playback and for digital mode encode/decode.

Would your system work with two separate computers controlling their
independent radios?

It should "work" in the sense of switching the mic, playback, keyer, PTT, and headphones. But how does the user interface with the radio controlled by the second computer? And why do you want the second computer?

What I am trying to do is use two separate stations and integrate them as
SO2S (Single Op two stations) I need the ability to use one head set and
have the transmit audio routed to the proper rig, according to the foot
switch pressed. Is this a capability?

Not unless there's something within N1MM Plus to sense your foot switch.

Until the most recent NAQP RTTY, I used a setup somewhat like yours for SO2R RTTY contesting -- one Thinkpad per radio. Logger Classic and Logger Plus "sort of" prevent both rigs from transmitting at the same time, but it's a bit awkward to use. To use it, I rearranged the operating desk enough to fit in the second laptop, moved the RS232 cable and audio cables from one computer to the other. Each computer had its own USB audio interface.

I recently upgraded the shack computer to a much faster processor with more RAM and more screen, so I tried running RTTY from the single computer. I was able to run two decoders on each radio, with enough screen real estate and processing horsepower, and I found it MUCH easier to use.

73, Jim K9YC