[CQ-Contest] Excessive Bandwidth Rule was: Re: Suggestion for Cabrillo -

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Excessive Bandwidth Rule was: Re: Suggestion for Cabrillo -- and the phone skimmer, new idea
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 07:09:11 -0400
Not only that, but the number of awards thereafter could be halved, saving ARRL and other societies lots of money.

But seriously, folks, can you imagine the mess that would result if the same phone ops who "amuse" us with their lousy audio added either subaudible tones or 100 wpm CW to their awful signals.

I'm waiting with interest to see whether CQWW follows through on rule XII (A) (5) and disciplines at least a few stations for excessivebandwidth. I'm not interested in outing a list of those disciplined, necessarily, but I hope at least the number of actions taken is made public, so that people know the committee is serious. With the tools now available, in particular whole contest recordings and SDR panadaptors, it should be possible to objectively define excessive bandwidth (e.g., level in dB relative to peak amplitude, versus frequency difference).

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.