Re: [CQ-Contest] Where are all the young radiosport folks?

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Where are all the young radiosport folks?
From: RT Clay <rt_clay@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 19:51:42 +0000 (UTC)

>> We're missing one other important component here.  Most of  today's young
>> people have been brought up in the "instant gratification"  world.  You
>> have
>> to study to get a radio license and it takes time to get  it.

This is not generally true and is often used as an excuse. Young people do many

things that take just as much or more work as passing a radio exam. Such as

playing musical instruments or sports. 99.9% of households simply have no

exposure at all to ham radio contesting.

>> Not so with gaming.  You buy the game and play.  Yes, it  takes time to
>> get
>> good at whatever game it is, but there is no initial work and  you to get
>> to play the game immediately.  Ham radio is quite different in  that
>> respect.

Gaming is popular simply because 99% of households have the required equipment
(a computer) to try it out.

I think with most hams forget that they got their license because someone they

personally knew (friend, relative, ...) was a ham and got them interested in the
hobby. In my case my father got his license about a year before I did, so there

was a radio and other stuff around the house that I could play around with

even before having a license. So if you want to get someone interested, loan or

give them  some equipment- these days maybe a Softrock SDR receiver would be

a good choice?

Someone mentioned R/C as no longer being popular- you are forgetting about

R/C drones which are hugely popular at the moment. One of my neighbors recently
got
a ham license just for use with drones.

I noticed I am one of 3 in the CW SS top 50 B scores with check after 1980-
scary!

Tor
N4OGW