[CQ-Contest] Being "Assisted"

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Being "Assisted"
From: <n1cc@jlaporta.com>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2015 15:49:04 -0500
CQWW DX Rules say:

VIII. DEFINITIONS OF TERMS:

1.  Station location: .

2.  QSO alerting assistance: The use of any technology or other source that
provides call sign or multiplier identification along with frequency
information about a signal to the operator. This includes, but is not
limited to, use of DX cluster, packet, local or remote call sign and
frequency decoding technology (e.g., CW Skimmer or Reverse Beacon Network),
or operating arrangements involving other individuals.

CQ WPX Rules say:

IX. DEFINITIONS OF TERMS:

1.     Station location: .

2.     QSO alerting assistance:  The use of any technology or other source
that provides call sign or multiplier identification along with frequency
information to the operator. It includes, but is not limited to, use of DX
cluster, packet, local or remote call sign and frequency decoding technology
(e.g., CW Skimmer or Reverse Beacon Network), or operating arrangements
involving other individuals.

Almost 100% identical - one word difference.

ARRL General Contest Rules say:

HF Contests - General Rules

1.  General Rules:  .

2. Entry Categories: The following categories are defined for ARRL contests
on bands below 30 MHz. See the rules for each contest to determine which
categories apply and whether additional categories exist for that contest.

2.1. Single Operator: One person performs all transmitting, receiving, and
logging functions as well as equipment and antenna adjustments.

2.1.1. Use of spotting assistance or nets (operating arrangements involving
other individuals, DX-alerting nets, packet, Internet, multi-channel
decoders such as CW Skimmer, etc) is not permitted.

Then, on a contest by contest ARRL elaborates:

ARRL DX Rules say:

3. Entry Categories:

3.1. Single Operator:

The use of spotting assistance or automated, multi-channel decoders is NOT
permitted.

3.1.1. QRP: 5 watts transmitter output or less.

3.1.2. Low Power:  150 watts transmitter output or less.

3.1.3. High Power: Maximum transmitter output of 1500 watts or license
limit, whichever is less.

ARRL Sweepstakes say:

3.1. Single Operator:

3.1.1. QRP. .  Spotting assistance & Skimmer use is NOT permitted.

3.1.2. Low Power . Spotting assistance & Skimmer use is NOT permitted.

3.1.3. High Power.  . Spotting assistance & Skimmer use is NOT permitted.

ARRL 160 and ARRL 10 Meter says:

3. Entry Categories:

3.1. Single Operator (use of spotting networks is NOT PERMITTED):

Very plain and to the point.  What QSO Parties choose to do and contests NOT
sponsored by ARRL or CQ do read differently, with spotting allowed,
partially allowed, or not allowed.  Just read the rules, and you are OK.

In the ongoing email discussion about Assisted I got the impression that
non-ham or non-radio propagation connections are not forbidden.  In this
same vein I spoke to Sean KX9X a few years ago about weather monitoring
during contests.  Sean agreed with me that for safety reasons having a
computer watching the RADAR live tracking at the same time as you are
operating does not violate the non-assisted category.

Here in Texas, there are very few contests that watching for sudden weather
changes that could wipe you and your station out becomes prudent.  So in the
background I do have the Weather Alert Radio (NOAA) running . and I have a
computer across the room that is on the Weather Underground showing
near-real-time storm tracking.  When something dangerous gets within about
25 miles of my location, everything goes off the air, grounding is put into
main modes and computers/monitors/radios are removed from the main power
lines.

Even with that I have lost two monitors and one DirecTV receiver in the past
six months due to near strike hits.  These were all unplugged from the
Isobars and UPS and from the computer or TV.

So what's your opinion guys' n' gals, should we be safe and watch using
electronic means for bad weather events in unassisted contest operation
efforts, or not?  Why the question? Some folks think you must be OFF the
Internet during non-assisted operation, and I don't think that is prudent.

73, Jim N1CC

Jim, N1CC

Contesting and DX

http://www.jlaporta.com/N1CC