Re: [CQ-Contest] Assisted vs unassisted claims and thoughts

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Assisted vs unassisted claims and thoughts
From: Steve IK4WMH <ik4wmh@virgilio.it>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 10:52:41 +0200
Hello Tim,

Sunday, May 10, 2015, 7:16:28 PM, you wrote:

TS> The CQWW FAQ makes it pretty clear that hooking up to cluster for any
TS> reason (seeing only spots for yourself say) means you are assisted. "Q: If
TS> I am a Single Operator, can I use the Reverse Beacon Network (RBN) or DX
TS> Cluster to look for spots of my own callsign? A: No, this is not permitted.
TS> If you do this, you should enter as Single Operator Assisted."

So it is clearly written in the FAQ page.

I admit I haven't read that page, I thought the rules page had all I
needed to know.

However reading that page, a few lines above I also find the
following:

"You are Single Operator IF you (and only you) *locate AND identify*
every callsign that you put in your log. Locate means to tune in each
signal. Identify means to determine the callsign of the station you
are working. Do not use any outside tools such as the DX Cluster or
RBN network to locate new contacts."

According to last sentence using a tool like a DX Cluster just to get
the thrill to know that I have been spotted does nothing to help me to
locate and identify new contacts, yet it is not permitted.

One more thing, I have a spare pc which is connected to the local
cluster 24/7 to collect DX spots and I have no intention to turn it
off during a contest...I will not make any use of it during the
contest however my callsign would still be seen connected to the
cluster.

Not a big deal, I haven't had the desire to try to be competitive in a
contest in ages and it's not getting better these days so next time
I'll have some free time during a contest weekend I might just play
for a couple of hours "casual style" without sending the log.

Steve IK4WMH