Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Cheating and the Consequences

To: Jeff Clarke <ku8e@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Cheating and the Consequences
From: brian coyne <g4odv@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 22:17:21 +0000 (UTC)
For sure we don't need 3 guesses as to the major talking point among contesters
at Dayton this weekend. It is a safe bet that UT5UGR will not be present there
and we are most unlikely to have any further responses from him on this forum.
To term his actions as a 'mistake' is hardly apt when  what it truly is was a
deliberate fraud which, in addition to the suspected unclaimed assistance,
extended to what must have been  considerable research into stations who were
active and by the fifth day of entry closure  had not, or were unlikely to,
submit logs to pad out his log. score.
To invent a whole session (when in reality he was probably napping during that
period) claiming up to 30 unique contacts with so many new country and zone
multipliers beggars belief, an audacious act of dishonesty which he almost got
away with so far as we can tell. since CQ did not appear to be aware of that
aspect until alerted  by Juan, our Balearic Islands Sherlock Holmes. There
could be more 'inventions', that doesn't matter now as case proven but how much
time cam committee be expected to spend on logs containing around 8k qso's and
up to 48hour SDR recordings in every suspicious case, most certainly time that
volunteer log checkers do not have when there are more than 7k entries! Whoever
would have thought it now necessary to add to log checking a percentage of
unique's per log and per band against a norm?

As for consequences,as per  this thread header, this case has certainly raised
some issues. As Jeff has stated we have not seen a discussion on an actual
disqualification  previously. That is because these matters are normally kept
private between committee and the entrant,. in this case the entrant chose to
post here claiming no knowledge as to why the DQ and we saw Randy's open email
response. .We are unlikely to see a repeat in the future but there is no doubt
that this community has been of great help to committee, some of the in depth
log  examinations have been meticulous and must have involved a deal of time.
To express a personal opinion whilst DQ's must remain private between the
parties I do think that the question of penalties should be .considered by CQ.
We have the worlds major contesting events which should set the highest
standards. Randy's mail to Dim stated that Dim would be welcome to enter this
years events. Whether Randy would say that were he writing now, in the light of
subsequent revelations, I am uncertain, but I would say that CQ Committee need
to consider that they speak for us, the contesting community, we like to be in
competition with our peers, in fair competition, if they are found wanting in
their conduct then we should expect committee to register our disapproval and
judgement by imposing penalties  dependent upon the gravity of  the case.
73  Brian  C4Z / 5B4AIZ.