Re: [CQ-Contest] Leading zeroes

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Leading zeroes
From: "XV4Y (Yan)" <xv4y@nature-mekong.com>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 06:53:47 +0700
Hi,

Just one point of view from the other corner of the planet.
During the last 3 contests I entered (for only a few hours each I admit) over
the last months, I tried the 4 strategies : send just "n" (the number), send
TTn, send OOn or send the full 00n.
In all cases some operator were confused and asked me for a repeat (not
counting the cases with "very low" S/N ratio). The lesser repeats needs were
for "n" and "00n". The worst case was OOn because if there is QSB the other
stations can wonder if it was a 2 or 8 instead of a O.

Now I've decided to go with the full numbers, not cut numbers, because 95% of
the QSO I make during a contest are "on the edge" with QSB or QRM (I run 100W
to simple antennas) and this is what gives the best "signal recovery"
possibilities. I very seldom can run high rates where a few seconds lost in
sending 0 really matter.
If I were located closer to Europe, or if I had better antennas, giving me
stronger signals, perhaps I would go without the leading 0.

73,
Yan.
---
Yannick DEVOS - XV4Y