Re: [CQ-Contest] Proposed rule changes

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Proposed rule changes
From: "XV4Y (Yan)" <xv4y@nature-mekong.com>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 06:15:12 +0700
Hi Kelly,

I think your example (while being picturesque) is wrong.
What the rule want is you to log what has been exchanged.
In that case you corrected the informations through a radio contact and you did
it during the contest time frame.
The same goes for "Dupes" which are not penalized because they are a correction
of a previous QSO. The penalty in a case of a dupe is that you both lose time.

Remember we're trying to tell which operator is the most skilled operator among
the contesters.
Who is the best operator ?
- The one who get the callsign and exchange right from the beginning and typed
it down correctly ?
- The one who get it almost right but needed time to think about it twice and
correct it in his log ?
I don't see why the second type of operator should be allowed to have
additional time after the contest.

You can argue that we're now putting "computer typist" in the required skills
to be a good operator.
Yes, that's right. We're in 2015, and a computer is required thing to be a
competitive operator :just like a paddle and keyer set.
If you want to have fun with a straight key and without computer : you can
enter the "classic operator" category.

73,
Yan.
---